Saturday, November 15, 2014

The Key to Improving Your Painting Ability

PAINT!!!!

Are you surprised?  If you are uncomfortable spending money on stretched canvas by the inexpensive panels.  If you think you can't spend the money on those, get some heavy paper and gesso it - use that to paint.  The operative thing here is: you won't get better unless you practice!

I have been destroying my early work that I no longer want, don't like, didn't like from the beginning or just think it wouldn't sell and I have no place to hang it.  But in doing that I could see just how far I have come.  I am not saying there isn't room for improvement - there is A LOT of room.  But in the 10 years I have been painting and the last 6 when I have made an effort to paint most days, I have seen a lot of improvement.  These days I am working on small still life arrangements.  I go to consignment/thrift stores (or ebay) or wherever and pick up things to use in still life arrangements.  Then I take my 6 x 6 inch panels (which I have made myself) and paint them.  This is a journey, believe me.  I like what I am doing and am putting them on daily paintworks for sale but I am always working to improve them.  I know, in time, I will do so.  I guess, I want to work toward a less blended, more brush strokey (is that even a word?) piece with a more spontaneous feel.  

I am attaching some images ot the three I have done most recently:




The first one is up for auction on Daily Paintworks, the second two are just for sale.  Seeing them like this on my blog, I actually love them.  That doesn't change the fact that i want them to have a more spontaneous look.  If you are interested you can go to http://www.dailypaintworks.com/artists/barbara-benedict-jones-4356/artwork  and check them out.

So, get out there and PAINT!

No comments:

Post a Comment