Friday, November 1, 2013

The Visceral Connection to Art



Before I began to paint I collected artwork.  Before that my parents collected artwork.  I am not talking about spending thousands of dollars on high end paintings; I am talking about modest investments in pieces to which my parents or I had a visceral connection.  Isn't that the way one should buy art??

Now that I am an artist I paint what I have an emotional or visceral connection to.  Upon occasion I do commission work.  Most of the time it is because someone has fallen in love with what I do but they want a different view or a still life with a different flower.  But sometimes, the customer wants colors that match their room or a painting that reflects a different style.  I sell my work at several outside shows and those that buy my paintings just love what the buy but sometimes, I overhear the customer talking about the fact that the painting won't match their decor.

I just don't understand that concept.  I am not saying that it is wrong but I just can't wrap my head around someone not having an emotional connection to artwork and making a purchase because of decor and not love.

I have worked within the parameters of a decorator and pushed my palette or style toward something which I don't normally do.  All in the effort to promote my work.  And I will undoubtedly do it again but I just wish that...................

barbarabenedictart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment