Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Beginning and/ or Sometimes You Have to Dive Right In

Well, after yesterday's kinda, sorta rant I have decided to continue along a more positive note.

I am a plein air painter (for the most part) and have been doing so since 2008.  I started life as a painter in 2004.  Anyway, I find there is an almost zen feeling to painting outside in the elements.  But in the beginning I was just worried, scared, nervous.....  

I was concerned for my safety - out in a somewhat remote location, focused on painting and not having the anyone around to rescue me if, if, if...

Secondly, I was very nervous about people observing me and just, exactly, what my painting would look like.

So, I found a location that was somewhat out of the way and set up my easel and commenced to paint.  Well, the location wasn't that isolated because slowly people began to wander into my circle of privacy and comment on my painting.  Now mind you, it wasn't very good and these kind people would say things like, "That is beautiful." or "What are you painting?".  I was embarrassed, furthermore, the painting wasn't working and I couldn't understand how someone would think it was beautiful unless they needed to run immediately to the eye doctor for new glasses.

Well, the next time I went out I had photos of work I had done in the studio so that when someone came up to check out what I was doing I could show them a finished product.  That solved one of my dilemmas.

My ability to capture a scene improved gradually but that doesn't mean I don't have complete and utter disasters from time to time.

The only thing that hasn't changed are my safety concerns on those occasions when I am alone in a rather isolated area.  My husband tried to come to my rescue by purchasing a knife for me. The sad truth about having something like that at my disposal is that by the time I realized that my safety might be threatened and looked for the knife in my supply bag, unsheathed it and turned to face the threat - well, it would be too late.

My daughter really brought reality home to me last winter.  I was heading out to paint and it was cold and a little snowy, so I was dressed with barn boots, heavy clothes, heavy jacket, mittens  stocking cap and pretty much had captured the look of a bag lady.
She said, "Really, Mom, it is highly doubtful that any predator would select you, you should check out your ensemble in a mirror." Sometimes the honest and frank opinions of my daughter are quite helpful.  I guess this was one of them.

So, after some ramblings about the beginning of my plein air adventure I am leaving you with this thought.  You have to persevere.  If you are nervous about painting alone just google plein air painter and the city you live near.  Something usually shakes out and if you contact them (and I always recommend a phone call rather than waiting for email contact) they may ask you to join them or point you in the direction of a group that meets regularly.
Once you begin, keep at it.  I know the light keeps changing and sometimes it is hard to chose what to paint.  I will talk about these things in a later post.  But if you keep doing it it gets easier.  

I wish I had some early ones to show you but I didn't take pictures back then - very silly of me but...  

No comments:

Post a Comment