Monday, November 4, 2013

My Favorite Easels for Plein Air Painting

I have tried several easels in my reletively short career as a plein air painter and I liked all three for various reasons.

1.  The Versa EasyL:  This easel was my go-to easel for a number of years.  I lined the palette with a piece of acrylic cut to size and replaced it when it was just too gooped up with paint.  I loved the fact that it accommodated canvas ranging from small to rather large (I think the largest I every used on it was 18 x 24 in a vertical format).  I also liked the fact that even with intense sun much of the canvas was backed with the lid of the easel.  I never owned one of that company's umbrellas so I can't speak for it's ease of use but my Jullian umbrella worked well attached to the side of the palette box unless it was windy.  Unfortunately the tripod gave out and I have yet to replace it.  One other thing I liked about this easel was that you could easily stand or sit while using it.

2.  The James Coulter easel:  I have been using this pretty regularly.  Like the EasyL I have had a piece of acrylic cut for the palette box.  What I like about it is the ability to have your palette (a pretty roomy one) attached right in front of you as you paint.  What I don't like about it is that I have to secure my canvas with a bungee cord.  And you cannot sit down and use it without some self-made modifications (my husband was unable to do this but I have a friend whose husband was able to do this to hers).  I also find it unstable in wind but that is kind of balanced by the fact that it is easily transportable.  Below is a picture of mine with a well used palette.


3.  The Take-It Easel:  I came across this easel when I was painting in Cape Cod.  When searching out places to paint I met a fellow plein air artist, Rosalie Nadeau.  She and her son (I believe that is the family member that does this) developed this easel which was fashioned after the old Gloucester easel.  I use this a lot.  It can accommodate very large canvas, is relatively easy to set up (once you know the trick to it), it is very sturdy in the wind (due to the wide stance of the legs) and you can use a large palette.  I usually use a french companion with it but I have shown it with the Coulter palette for the sake of convenience. There is a much less expensive on available called a Beauport easel (I have one) but I never use it - it is just too difficult to set up.  With this easel you have the trouble of the sun shining right through the canvas but it does keep the canvas on the easel even if it is very windy.  Below is a picture of the Take-It with a 24 x 30 canvas and I have done much larger paintings.:



To solve the problem of the sun coming through the canvas I have done several of the following dependinc on my suppies: thrown a painting jacket or shirt over the back (which means I have sides, corners and top which needs to be touched up in the studio), used a piece of foam core cut to fit inside the canvas, or used a self gessoed board or ampersand gesso board.

Below are the links for the three easels.

www.artworkessentials.com

artboxandpanel.com

http://www.takeiteasel.com

1 comment:

  1. You can make it work like the pricy version.


    http://sageartsstudio.com/wp/blog/2010/09/18/breaking-in-my-beauport-easel/

    ReplyDelete