Sunday, March 23, 2014

Small Painting Dilemma

I have been a member of Daily Paintworks since October and have been trying to produce small (6 x 6 inch) paintings to sell there.  Normally I paint in larger sizes, the smallest is 8 x 8 or 8 x 10 and they sell for $350 and $375 respectively.  So, when I joined, my dilemma was how to produce paintings at the greatly reduced rate of $99 or $129.

My solution was to do very small paintings.  The problem is that those small paintings take me almost as long to do as my larger plein air paintings.  So, I have decided now to post the larger ones at the correct (unframed) price and limit the smaller ones that I do.  Maybe I should sell all my paintings framed - that is very doable too, because when I sell them in galleries they are always framed.

I have been looking at Rose Schuring's site on the Daily Paintworks site and she is marketing her work at a higher price point.

The one thing I understand is that if a patron/customer of mine has purchased a 12 x 12" painting from me and paid $700.00 they will not understand my selling similar large sizes for a significantly less amount on the DP web site.  So, that is my question for the cosmos.  Will people purchase paintings at that higher price point?  Or do I need to continue with the small ones.

There are other considerations:

.  I need to ramp up my marketing.
.  I need to blog on a regular basis and probably post it to facebook
.  I need to post things to Daily Paintworks almost daily
.  I guess, the most important things is to post regularly and to do that I need to be ready to photograph my work as soon as it is finished.


So, this is my current project, titled The Quiet of Gray.  I have to darken the water toward the front and consider a few other changes but it is coming along.  I went out to the beach at Fish Haul Park and was captivated by the scene at high tide.  The water had come up into the grass and there was a softness to everything.  I guess you might say the grasses don't look to soft but the contrast and the almost continuous color of the beach tidal pool, the sound and the sky just enveloped me.


No comments:

Post a Comment