Monday, December 30, 2013

Seashell Lights and Christmas Festivities

This Christmas has be chaotic, to say the list.  Decorating for the holidays necessitates being in the holiday mood and it took me awhile to get into the spirit.  But when I did - well, I hung garlands on anything that would stand still long enough and baked 7 kinds of cookies, frosted chocolate and sugar cookies and shopped and wrapped my little heart out.

Here is a photograph of the a few of the frosted cookies - definitely not a professional job but my friend and fellow artist, Melissa Harris and I had fun frosting them.  Did I mention we also shared some champagne while doing this???


But the decoration I most love is my strand of seashell lights that I arrange on some evergreen garland every year.  It adds an organic element (like the buzz words usage) to my decorating.  All my garlands, tree and wreaths are artificial because we are hear for such a short time at Christmas.  Below is a picture of them and i will tell you how I made them - it is very easy!


First of all, the shells are scallop shells, carefully and painstakingly collected every summer on Nantucket Sound in Cape Cod.  This would probably work with other shells but the scallop shells have a wonderful translucent quality.  In Hilton Head the shell that is the most common is the Oyster shell and it is very opaque - perhaps with the new LED lights (that are basically Christmas lights on steroids) it might work - I may see what I can do with those in the near future.

To continue, I used a small strand of little (old style) white lights and hot glued a shell on each side of the light.  That would be two shells per light.  I don't think you could hang them on your tree - there are quite heavy but they really look beautiful nestled among evergreen boughs.  I know I said I use the artificial greens but often I try to buy fresh ones and use them in this display with fresh fruit (kinda Williamsburgish).

The painting behind is one of my still lifes and I just love the orange/read background with the pinks of the peonies and blue vase.

No comments:

Post a Comment